Me and my wife Nicolene
I grew up in Nylstroom, Limpopo, South Africa.
After high school, I went to the University of Pretoria where I studied and obtained a Degree in Engineering.
After graduation, I joined Axis Mechanical Design (an Engineering consultant company) who specialised in advanced Pressure Vessel and Storage Tank Design using Finite Element Analysis (FEA) mainly in the petrochemical industry. I stayed with Axis for 5 years where I formed my post-grad career.
I then moved to a global supplier of Liquid-Solid separation technology in the mining sector called Andritz Delkor. Here I am constantly busy with general Mechanical Design, Structural Design, Fabrication Assistance and Research & Development.
I'm intetested in all things technical - as long as it's a challenge.
My career took me in a direction where I mostly work on large structural storage tanks and pressure vessels that falls outside the scope of standard design codes. I prefer being involved from the design phase through draughting, fabrication, erection and commisioning.
Since 2013, I have been continuously busy with Research and Development of a wide spectrum of projects. I am currently running the day to day operations of the R&D department at Andritz Delkor.
Except for Mechanical & Structural Engineering, I enjoy playing around with IOT (Internet of Things). Although I would not call myself an expert in this field, I do consider it a hobby.
I specialise in:
- Linear, Elastic Perfect Plastic & Elastic Plastic FEA.
- Static & Transient Analyses.
- Pipe Stress Analyses (ASME B.31.3).
- Pressure Vessel Design according to major international design codes (ASME Div 1 & 2, PD5500, EN13445, AD Merkblatter).
- Storage Tank Design according to major international design codes (API 650 & API 620).
- R&D and Product Development
- Structural Design according to major international design codes (AISC, ASCE, SANS, EUROCODE).
I am skilled in the following software:
- Ansys Structural
- Ansys Fluent
- Caesar II
- PV Elite
- MS Office
- SMath / Mathcad
QUALIFICATIONS & COURSES:
I obtained my Bachelors Degree in Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering from the University of Pretoria in 2011 (B.Eng).
During my studies I specialised in Vehicle Engineering and Nuclear Engineering.
I'm a registered member at SAIMechE (South African Institute of Mechanical Engineers). I'm also busy with my registration to become a Professional Engineer at ECSA (Engineering Council of South Africa).
Since being permanently employed, I've done courses in:
- Advanced FEA methods: ASME BPVC Section VIII Division 2 - Design by analysis.
- Pipe Stress Analysis - CAESAR II.
- Pressure Vessel Design - PVElite.
- CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) - ANSYS FLUENT.